Saturday, May 1, 2010

100 % medically accurate






After spending the past 3 months surrounded by movies as an intern at a film fest, I've fallen behind in my film news.  That is the only excuse I can come up with for how I let a movie about a human centipede, er, crawl past my radar.  Well, lucky for me (well it'd probably be more like "lucky"), I have managed to find tons of reading material about what some have dubbed 2010's most barfiest movie and the most disgusting horror film of all-time.  Just going off the name The Human Centipede (First Sequence), you could probably deduce some key elements of the film: low budget, campy, terrible acting, a deformed human with an increased number of extremities, a sequel is coming.  At least that's what I thought until I actually googled it. 

Written and directed by Tom Six, it's a horror film alright about a psychotic german doctor (Dieter Laser) who creates a human centipede out of three people, sewing them together. End to end.  Well more like face to...end.  And as noted by the title of the blog post, Six had a medical supervisor so the procedure used is apparently plausible and completely accurate. So while the trailer shows it's higher in production value than I thought, it's also way more demented.  Who are these actors, willing to subject themselves to...well take a look for youself.   





Considering I still expect to see Norman Bates on the other side of my shower curtain and get queasy watching doctor dramas, I don't know if I can watch it.  Instead of subjecting myself to the actual movie, I read Mark Lisanti's liveblog over at Movieline, which pretty much satiated any of my fleeting desires to see it especially after comments like:

NAUSEA REPORT: 26 minutes in and nothing that makes me want to vomit has yet occurred. it's a slow-burner, this movie

these terrible drawings of the awful thing he's going to do to these three people reveal he did not attend Batshit Insane Nazi Doctor Art School. the sketches are primitive, cartoonish. but make up for their technical deficiencies in their loving attention to anus and mouth detail




If you want a bunch of profoundly upsetting things scorched upon the CANNOT UNSEE area of your brain, there's probably no better way to spend six bucks. (With the possible exception of All About Steve, also currently available On Demand!)

So if you've got a strong stomach and an extra 92 minutes to burn, check it out and let me know how it is!  Oh and if this is any incentive, there's a Second Sequence already in the works, which probably means you should see them in order.  You know, to avoid any confusion. 

No comments: