Wednesday, June 30, 2010

to do list: movies

I'm not really a fan of summer releases since most of them are spectacle-laden stereotypes with bloated budgets and mindless plots.  Ok, so that's a total generalization and harsh, but what can I say, it's not really my style.  Thankfully, there are still some quality films that I can't wait to see.  While most are set to come out this fall/winter, there are a few summer releases that will hopefully make up for Killers and The A-Team.  I'll keep adding to the list as trailers are released.


NEVER LET ME GO (sept. 15)

Carey Mulligan and Keira Knightly star in this erie film about a mysterious English boarding school and the students who attend.  The trailer makes me feel completely depressed and freaked out, which is weirdly a good thing when it comes to my trailer barometer.  It's based on a critically acclaimed novel that is also next on my reading list.




SOMEWHERE (dec. 22)

Sofia Coppola's lastest film follows similar patterns to her past films, but that is far from a complaint.  This also means another stellar soundtrack, this time created by her fiance Thomas Mars' band Phoenix.  Even though the trailer doesn't give too much away plot-wise, i think it's perfect and highlights the themes and tone.




INCEPTION (july 16)

One of the only tent-pole movies on my list due to its impressive cast (Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Marion Cotillard, Leonardo Dicaprio, Ellen Page, Michael Cane, Cillian Murphy....) and director (Christopher Nolan).  I still have no idea of what it's entirely about, but I have faith that it'll be easier to understand upon viewing even if leo had some troubles.



HARRY POTTER (nov. 19)

Come on, it's "the motion picture event of a generation."

No comments: